Thursday, April 13, 2017

Precious Descendant

My grandson recently turned four.  He and his family live far from me, so I do not see him often.  I miss him.

This is the first poem I wrote for him, before he was even born.


Precious Descendant
by
Judy S. Lentz

I've seen shadows of your face in the creases of your father's palm
as I lifted his newborn hand to my lips
In the smile on your mother's face as her fingers sift
through baby clothes
I sing "Safe and Sound" to your unborn spirit as I look up
at stars you will soon see for the first time
A beam of light leapt off the face of a faraway place
And has traveled millions of miles
millions of years
just to be the very photons that will land on your retina
The moment you first look up

No comments:

Post a Comment

Call the NAMI Helpline at
800-950-6264
Or text "HelpLine" to 62640