Monday, October 16, 2023

Today's WTF Dispatch

Marc Maron's dispatch for today hurt my heart. He says he is "suddenly feeling okay about performing for teenagers."  This 60 yr-old man, who left a damaged girl with a gun feeling suicidal a few months ago, who has been publicly chasing and grooming teen girls for decades, who says it is appropriate for him to try and fuck teen girls, just wrote those words today.  The girls who will respond to this kind of grooming by old men like Maron have been sexualized and already have nobody protecting them.  This man knows what my old principal knows, what all predatory old men in this patriarchy know.  Nobody is protecting these mentally damaged, sexually exploited teenagers.  This man does not give a shit about sexually abused children.  He just wants to fuck them as teens.




WTF with Marc Maron Podcast

OCTOBER 16, 2023

Children in the Audience.

The Pacific Northwest, People!


I flew into Seattle, climbed into a rental car and drove north to Bellingham. I know I have talked about this many times before but there is some part of my soul that just lives in that part of the world. The trees, the sky, the water, the rocks, the crisp air, the expanse of islands. Love it. 


I think the region was wired into me when my family lived in Alaska for two years when I was a kid. '69 to '70. Impressionable. 


I don’t recall ever being in Bellingham. I feel like there was a one nighter gig up there that I did almost 30 years ago. 30 years! It was in a mall, I think. It certainly didn't leave me with any good memories. 


The town is beautiful. I took a drive down Chuckanut Drive. Smelled the pine and wet forest. I needed it. 


The show was at a stunning, old theatre called the Mount Baker. It was the first real theatre I’ve done the new hour at. It went well. 


I was walking to eat dinner after sound check and ran into many people heading to the show. I ran into an excited man with his wife and young sons who told me they were coming to the show. I was immediately jarred by the reality that young kids were going to be at the show. One must’ve been 12 and the other was younger. I told the guy it may be rough stuff for the kids to take in. He didn’t seem to really believe that. If you know my work I just couldn’t wrap my brain around why you would bring young kids. It’s not even that I’m ‘blue.’ I just speak honestly as a relatively screwed up adult. 


Not having children I don’t really know what it's like to be a parent. I’ve definitely developed an aggressive empathy rooted in what was dumped in my head as a kid. Some of it doesn’t go away. Not all of it is good. 


I think the idea most parents have is that the stuff that doesn’t make sense won’t really register. I don’t know. Maybe it’s just that the guy wanted to share his excitement about seeing me with his family. 


I felt it necessary to open with a warning. Without pointing them out I said there were children in the audience and that I would be dealing with very adult themes and if they wanted to leave I would refund their money. It seemed right. I have no idea if they left. If they didn’t and I live long enough, I imagine a young adult person will come up to me someday and tell me they saw me when they were nine and they never quite recovered from it. I’m not saying I have a lasting impact in any general way but if I saw me when I was that age, it would’ve blown my young mind. Though, I believe, I would’ve loved it. Maybe I should stop projecting. 


I found a vegan place called The Big Beet. I’m learning that if you find a good vegan place on the road there’s no reason not to eat as many meals as possible there. Consistency. 


Today I talk to Rob Halford. He’s the lead singer of Judas Priest. A seminal Heavy Metal band. I didn’t grow up loving metal. I’ve grown to appreciate it as an adult. I don’t think it’s quite the same if it didn’t save your adolescent life from the emotions and tedium of being an adolescent (male usually). I’m suddenly feeling okay about performing for teenagers. Anyway, I spent a couple of days loading some Priest into my head just so I could be in the groove when I talk to Rob. It was a great talk. 


I look forward to immersing myself in the work of people I’m not deeply familiar with. I’m currently listening to A LOT of Joan Baez to prep for my talk with her. From Halford to Baez. This is my life. 


Thursday is a comedian double-header with Louis Katz and Doug Stanhope. Comedy for grown ups, for sure. 


Enjoy!


Boomer, Monkey and LaFonda live!


Love,

Maron


THE ME GRINDER.

PHOTOS VIDEOS PRESS CONTACT


EMAIL ADDRESS


POWERED BY

 

©2021 WTF

Website by Studio Rubric

Assistance Provided by Celis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Call the NAMI Helpline at
800-950-6264
Or text "HelpLine" to 62640