Sunday, April 30, 2023

Bumper Stickers


"Bumper Stickers"

Oct 23, 2022, 9:11 AM


So, maron, you ever get tired of assholes speaking like they are not racist or antisemitic, but you know, by simply listening to them closely, and observing how they consistently behave, noticing the confederate flag bumper sticker on their car, catching certain words and phrases they toss about, that they would be very comfortable at a proudboy gathering or kkk rally. Isn't it mind blowing how people you know, friends of yours, can listen to that same asshole, and tell you that you are wrong, that the asshole doesn't have a racist bone their body. People just walk around in denial, wallowing in their refusal to see truth, then have the temerity to appear shocked when a supermarket or synagogue is shot up, leaving broken lives and devastated families behind. I have heard you talk about some nice neighbor greeting you in a friendly way, but you are forced by circumstances in this country to wonder if that nice neighbor could come for you and take you by gunpoint to be placed in some sort of "camp" next week, if they were told to do it by assholes in power. It hurts, to have to realize that people you think are decent, people all around your neighborhood and within your country, could actually treat you or others you care about in such a terrible way.


It hurt my heart to have to realize that you, a gifted comedian I thought was a good guy, had no qualms about behaving like the principal. It hurt to know you had harmed many people just like me. Imagine that one neighbor who visited you and had you over after Lynn died, showing up one morning with a gun and some fucked up trump symbol sewn onto his jacket. That would hurt you, in your heart. In the end, it probably wouldn't surprise you much, because you are very aware of what humans are capable of. But it would still hurt.


It hurts, to remember how much joy and laughter I was experiencing this summer, how easily I believed you had a good heart, how it lightened my darkness to hear your description of mike pence at the second coming. Tears of fucking laughter! If the world is gonna end soon anyway, I wish putin woulda hit the button as I was thoroughly enjoying that scene. I could have been incinerated with a smile on my face, and an innocent enjoyment of a decent man's comedy.  


I miss viewing you that way. I can't enjoy you that way now. It's like I caught a glimpse of some bumper sticker that exposed what you really believe. That hurts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Call the NAMI Helpline at
800-950-6264
Or text "HelpLine" to 62640