Sunday, April 30, 2023

Service

 


Oct 25, 2022, 7:36 AM


Listening to you and Jeremy Strong. Really good so far. You are discussing the service Jeremy's parents each gave. And I heard it again, a moment in your voice that I have heard before, where it seems like you wish you were doing some sort of service-type thing. I hope you waste no moments beating yourself up over that.


I'm not sure you realize the mitzvahs you perform on a daily basis. I will give you a couple of examples. First, I have worked in Shelter/Rescue/Spay-Neuter medicine for the last 14 years. (yeah, I'm more like Kit than you know.) There are people I run into every day who say, "Oh, I would love to help at the shelter, but it would break my heart to see all those animals. I would want to take them all home." Rescue workers often reply to this by saying there are many ways people can help other than volunteering at a shelter. There are 2 things that, if every household in the US simply did these 2 things, the population of stray/feral cats and dogs would be greatly reduced within a couple of years. If every household had their current pets altered, and if every household adopted one homeless cat or dog, that would be the greatest services that can be done. You have been doing both of those most important services for years. And as a person with a public platform, you have reached thousands of listeners by talking about your cats. I personally helped trap some feral cats on a woman's property years ago, and I remember she told me it was from "That Mr. Maron" on that "WWF" podcast that she learned what to do about those feral cats being dumped on her property. Our shelter workers knew about Boomer going missing all those years ago, and I remember one of us going online every morning to see if he was back. We all felt invested in that story and empathized with your pain. There is an equation that shows how many offspring one unaltered female cat, and each of her ongoing offspring, can produce in ten years. I have a shirt from FCCO with that equation on it, from the days I used to drive transport with 60+ cats from a shelter to be fixed at their facility. That same equation is also the number of potential cats who do not end up suffering, when a single cat gets altered. You have already personally saved millions of cats from being born into needless suffering, by fixing the cats you have had altered. Add up every person you inspired to fix their own pets, and you have done a huge amount of service for stray/feral cats. (Link to equation: The Feral Cat Equation — Feral Cat Coalition of Oregon:  Equation  )


The other mitzvah you do all of the time? You make people laugh. Better still, you help people push back at darkness by finding the humor in darkness. In this fucked up world, give me your comedy over 500 fucking sermons from some "christian" pulpit any day, to truly make the world a better place.


I am not trying to be cruel or snarky here, but there is truly one more service you could do. (You probably know what I will type.) You could stop re-abusing sexualized girls, and you could never flash any girl again. Those things cause horrendous damage. Nobody gets over doing those kinds of behaviors on their own. Please go to SLAA. It would be a huge service, for everyone.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Call the NAMI Helpline at
800-950-6264
Or text "HelpLine" to 62640