Sunday, May 14, 2023

A Question

 I was standing in a Walmart, talking to a friend recently.  We were next to the "Baby girl," "Toddler girl," clothing department.  Something spoken of in the new documentary, "Pretty Baby," hit me.  I turned to my friend, pointed at a shelf full of clothing that once would have only been sold in places like Victoria's Secret, for all us adults to enjoy, and asked, "Why isn't this type of clothing mass marketed to little boys?"  Her response was immediate, and the look of disgust on her face was clear.

"Oh my God, that would make adult men see little boys as sexual."

Quite an answer.  The saddest thing to me?  She still doesn't realize what her answer said, what it means she and society view as an acceptable way to let others view cis girl babies and toddlers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Call the NAMI Helpline at
800-950-6264
Or text "HelpLine" to 62640